Liberal Arts and Sciences at UCF
Aim and Approach
Liberal Arts and Sciences is a specific approach to Bachelor level education. It reaches across academic fields while also offering discipline-oriented academic training in a particular . LAS in Freiburg covers and integrates the breadth of academic endeavor. As a distinctive feature of UCF's LAS program, the Core offers a foundation for knowledge and reflection in academic world work and beyond.
We encourage students to critically reflect on science and knowledge and to become skilled communicators and creative shapers of their environment. Focusing on the education of the whole person, LAS creates opportunities for personal development into motivated and responsible human beings. For information on opportunities after your successful LAS graduation, please see .
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Sciences (depending on choice of Major)
- Duration: LAS is a 4 year program that includes breadth and depth. It has a progressive storyline covering academic competencies, skills training, academic specialization, and room for intellectual exploration. An overview of the Curriculum and Academic Calendar is available here.
- The language of instruction is English. As part of the LAS program, non-German speaking students must learn German up to the level of A2 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Bologna-compliant; total coursework amounts to 240 ECTS credits, i.e. 30 credits per semester. Most LAS courses carry a six ECTS credit workload. One ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of about 30 hours.
- Fees: In general, there are no tuition fees apart from a registration fee of about €150 per semester. The State of Baden-Württemberg is currently preparing legislation to introduce tuition fees for non-EU students (€1,500 per semester) and for all students seeking a second Bachelor (or Master's) degree (€650 per semester). For more detailed information, please see the University of Freiburg Student Portal.
- UCF does not provide housing or scholarships. Living and accommodation costs amount to ca. €750 per month. For more information, please see the university's Student Portal and our here on our website.
- LAS is a selective program with an annual intake of about 80 students. Starting LAS is only possible in the winter semester. The application period is June 1 – July 15.
In the , students can undertake a variety of courses and projects to further shape their profile and / or use these credits for courses taken on a semester or year abroad.
The provide an in-depth education in a specific academic field that is, in itself, interdisciplinary. After their first year of studies, students choose one of the following Majors:
The is shared by all LAS students. It encompasses basic and advanced academic skills, philosophical and descriptive reflections on knowledge and science, and a curriculum on Responsibility and Leadership.
For more information on the courses offered at UCF, please see the current LAS Course Catalog.
LAS Online Study Choice Assistant
Are you interested in studying LAS at University College Freiburg? Does LAS fit your academic interests and expectations? The interactive Online Studychoice Assistant (OSA) informs you about LAS and can help you find out if it is the right program for you.