Dr. Sabine Sané: Lecturer and Course Coordinator
Sabine Sané studied Biology with a main focus on ecology/evolution, botany, and animal behavior at the University of Freiburg. She did her diploma (master) thesis on "Group coordination in chacma baboons" in South Africa in cooperation with the German Primate Centre (GPC) in Göttingen. After her biological studies, she worked in the field of animal behavior at the GPC with a stay abroad in Senegal and then at the Max-Planck-Institute of Immunbiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg. Her subsequent PhD studies at the department of Microsystems Engineering at the University Freiburg investigated biotechnological approaches to regenerative energy systems. Her research concentrated on bio-electrochemical, enzymatic systems to produce electricity and to degrade micropollutants in waste water.
As a lecturer, she mainly teaches in Earth and Environmental Sciences with a focus on interdisciplinary ecological topics.
- Since 2014 Lecturer and Course Coordinator for Earth and Environmental Sciences, University College Freiburg, Germany
- 2010 – 2015 PhD (Dr.- Ing.), Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg, Germany
- 2009 Research Assistant, Max-Planck-Institut of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Freiburg, Germany
- 2006 – 2008 Research Assistant at the Research Group for Cognitive Ethology, German Primate Centre, Goettingen, Germany, including
- 2008 Niokolo Koba Nature Reserve, Simenti, Senegal,
- 2006 De Hoop Nature Reserve, South Africa
- 2000 – 2007 Studies Biology Diploma (master equ.), Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Germany
Scholarships and Awards
- 2014 Winner international Huber Technology Prize 2014: Future Water
- 2013 – 2014 Stipendiary of the Landesgraduiertenförderung
- 2010 – 2013 Stipendiary in the research training group “Micro Energy Harvesting” funded by the German Research Foundation
In the media
- uni wissen 01/2015, page 29, One Fungus, two uses, https://issuu.com/melihubner/docs/uni-wissen_1_2015_engl_web
- Bioökonomie BW „Pilzsuppe als Kläranlage und Biobrennstoffzelle“ https://www.biooekonomie-bw.de/de/fachbeitrag/aktuell/pilzsuppe-als-klaeranlage-und-biobrennstoffzelle/
- Science Daily July 2015, New concept for biofuel cells: Tree fungus lets current flow https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130705101514.htm
- c't, issue 17/2013, S. 40: "Baumpilz lässt Strom fließen"
- TV: SWR Fernsehen, Landesschau aktuell Baden-Württemberg, August 17, 2013: "Sauberer Strom mit Baumpilzen
Here you can download a list of publications.