For purposes of student exchange and academic collaboration, UCF has partnerships with higher education institutions around the world.
- Staff and students at University College Maastricht provided guidance and consultation for the establishment of UCF and its LAS curriculum. Today, our partnership includes an ongoing exchange of ideas, experiences, and students – for example in the Double Degree program between the two colleges.
- A further key partnership is with Schreyer Honors College at Penn State University with whom UCF has a structured exchange program.
- Within Europe UCF has Erasmus partnerships with, inter alia, Amsterdam University College (NL), Science Po Grenoble (F), University College London (UK), Universidad Complutense de Madrid (E), University College Utrecht (NL), University College Maastricht (NL).
- UCF is an active member of international higher education networks focusing on Liberal Arts and Sciences, e.g. ECOLAS (Consortium of European Colleges of Liberal Arts and Sciences).
In 2010, the German Council of Science and Humanities, the leading advisory body to the German federal and state governments on all matters concerning science, research, and universities, published Recommendations on the Differentiation of Higher Education Institutions. One recommendation was the establishment of University Colleges and interdisciplinary undergraduate programs – following the Dutch example.
The founding of UCF did not happen in a vacuum but must be seen in the context of the European Bologna Process and ongoing debates on higher education. Since its founding in 2012, UCF has generated attention among policymakers, higher education institutions, foundations, and private actors in Germany and beyond.
For its establishment and projects, UCF has received funding and support from, inter alia, the following institutions and initiatives:
- Baden Württemberg Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst
- Baden-Württemberg Stiftung
- Baden-Badener Unternehmergespräche
- Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung and the Quality Pact for Teaching
- C. H. Beck Foundation
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Sparkasse Freiburg-Nördlicher Breisgau
- Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft and the Lehrehochn project
If you are interested in collaborating with and/or supporting UCF, please contact us at:
University College Freiburg
Paul Sterzel (Managing Director)
Tel. +49 761 203-97557