The organizational structure of University College Freiburg reflects the following goals:
- autonomy as a distinctive institution and integration into the University of Freiburg and its faculties
- shared responsibilities and stakeholder participation
University College Freiburg is a central institution at the University of Freiburg under the Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Prof. Dr. Juliane Besters-Dilger. The UCF Directorate is responsible for strategic decision-making and integration into the University of Freiburg. It is composed of the Dean of the Faculty of Humanities, Prof. Dr. Hans-Helmuth Gander, an elected delegate of the LAS student body, an elected UCF Teaching Staff delegate, as well as the Management Team at UCF.
The UCF Advisory Board advises the UCF Directorate and provides strategic guidance for the development of the college and its programs. It consists of distinguished representatives from civil society, business, and politics as well as from our students' future work areas.
LAS Board of Studies
The Liberal Arts and Sciences study program at UCF is associated with the Faculty of Humanities and falls under the responsibility of the interfaculty LAS Board of Studies. It is headed by the Dean of Studies, Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Freitag. Teaching in the LAS program is in part covered by lecturers and professors at UCF. Further courses are offered by LAS Teaching Fellows from the University of Freiburg and beyond.
In order to provide the necessary academic and reflexive framework for UCF and the LAS program, the University of Freiburg has established two professorships in conjunction with the Faculty of Humanities and UCF. The play a central role in teaching and management at UCF and conductin their respective fields of expertise:
- Chair in Epistemology and Theory of Science (Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Freitag)
- Chair in Science and Technology Studies (Prof. Dr. Veronika Lipphardt)
Teaching initiatives and projects at UCF are undertaken and organized in cooperation with academic and administrative departments at the University of Freiburg; for example:
- Professors and lecturers from throughout the University of Freiburg teach at UCF as Teaching Fellows. They come from the various university faculties as well as from research institutes such as the Centre for Biological Signalling Studies (bioss) or the Arnold-Bergstraesser-Institute.
- UCF collaborates with the Rectorate and the International Office regardings the internationalization of UCF and the university, e.g. the establishment of a European Campus on the Upper Rhine.
- UCF networking activities are supported by Alumni Freiburg, the university's alumni organization.
- Faszination Wissenschaft courses are open to all bachelor students via the Center for Key Qualifications.
This article provides background information on university governance.